Dec 21, 2010

#53 Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say, But Don’t Say It Mean

The first part and the third part are self-explanatory. The second part needs to be particularly applied more.  Most Americans don't mean what they say when they ask, "How are you?"  Americans would ask this while walking past the person this question was intended for.  They weren't looking for a long thorough response.  People from other part of the world (most of the earth population, really) would normally respond with a thorough, sincere, complete answer to that "how are you" question.  Here's an example:

American John: "How are you, Bob?"
American Bob: "Fine.  You?"

American Mary: "How are you, Suzy?
American Suzy: "Tired."

American Matt: "How are you <insert foreign name>?"
Foreigner: "I'm doing good this morning especially after I had my breakfast and visited my mom on the east side of town.  My brother is graduating this weekend.  My dad seems to be doing better after his fall last month.  He broke his left ankle but the doctor said it's gonna heal fine.  I have a presentation to do in an hour.  How are you, Matt?   Matt?"

No comments:

Post a Comment